Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Tempe heat out and help your air conditioner thrive throughout the remaining days of summer.
Here are some tips from Bob Brown Service Experts to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by reaping the benefits of solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside goes down. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is maintaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is running as it should be and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Bob Brown Service Experts in Tempe or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working as it should be.