Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Annually, over 20,000 people visit the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Bob Brown Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.

 

  • Place a CO detector on all floors of your home and replace the batteries every year.
  • Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
  • Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
  • Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Power off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
  • Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
  • When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
  • Do not use a oven to warm your home.
  • Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned every year.

 

The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Bob Brown will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 623-243-4517 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us