One of the most routine issues that we come acress at Bob Brown Service Experts in Phoenix is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very tiny piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a host of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the biggest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any potential damage that could come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give Bob Brown Service Experts a call at or schedule an appointment online.